cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC homepage

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Elad Wieder" <ewieder AT creativecommons.org.il>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC homepage
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 18:57:15 +0300

Since copyright laws prevent by default any freedoms from any user (but for the fair-use exception, which becomes narrower every day), even a CC-BY-NC-ND license gives the user (or some users) freedoms the didn't have otherwise. It may not be the scope of freedom we would like them to have, but it's freedom none the less, and should not be underestimated.

Now, when somebody comes and claims ownership on the work "freedom", as if it was his certificate to grant - this contradicts the very sense of "Free as in free speech".

On 4/25/07, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell AT gmail.com> wrote:
On 4/25/07, Elad Wieder <ewieder AT creativecommons.org.il > wrote:

> As being such a freedom fighter, can't you give CC people the freedom to
> interpret the word "freedom"? Do you, or does the FSF or anybody else have
> monopoly on this area? Let's not be hypocritical...

Yeee.. I don't share Greg London's same perspective on this matter but
I must protest.

"give the CC people the freedom to interpret the word 'freedom'" ...
This sounds exactly like the sort of newspeak that Greg was
protesting.

When someone uses a word to describe something which would be more
accurately described by the opposite of that word, thats not 'freedom'
it's deception.

If someone goes around calling something "freedom" is clearly not
freedom to the point of offending common sense.. I think it's
appropriate to speak up, and I think you should share at least that
position.

Works under cc-by-nc-nd, or worse things like the developing nations
licenses are not works the recipient has freedom over by any
reasonable use of the word.

HOWEVER, my view breaks from Greg's here in that I don't agree that
wording in question is clearly bad from this position.  "Choose
freedoms" .. well, "No significant amount" is still an amount of
freedom. Perhaps not a desirable amount, but it's an amount none the
less.