cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC homepage

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <greglondon.1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC homepage
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:36:57 -0400

On 4/25/07, Andres Guadamuz <a.guadamuz AT ed.ac.uk> wrote:
Greg London wrote:

> People want to use the word "Freedom" because it's cool.
> Not because it's accurate.

I'm really curious about this. I don't know what circles you frequent,
but FSF's "Freedom" definition is nowhere near what I would consider
"cool".

Of course, the definition isn't cool.
A lot of people find it annoying that copyleft prohibits them
from making proprietary forks. They'll argue that if its Free,
then they should be able to fork the work at will.
FSF's definition of Free is a pain in the ass to a lot of folks
who would rather do proprietary forks, tivoize, apply DRM
and otherwise use the community's work to compete against
the community.

But the word Freedom is cool, yes?
Everybody loves freedom.
It's like politicians kissing babies.
Everyone loves babies, right?

The problem comes up when someone uses the same words
as the Free Software groups but intend them to have a different
definition. The problem is when people want the coolness of
being associated with something like Free Software, without
having to actually do anything the way a free software community
does it.