cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 07:38:41 -0400

On Tuesday 24 April 2007 02:49 am, Björn Terelius wrote:
> I agree with Joachim Durchholz, it would be great if the Creative
> Commons made adaptations for software. I can't understand why some of
> you guys dislike the idea so much.

Possibly there are some of us who would be happy to see the day when only BY
and BY-SA remain as viable CC licenses, the others having faded away into
obscurity due to non-use.

> After all, why should it be possible
> for an artist to release their creations as ND but not possible for a
> programmer based on some loosely defined "ethical principle" of open
> source.

Are you calling for CC to drop ND? ~;-) sorry, just a joke.

> The Creative Commons are not the same as FSF and does not have
> to share the FSFs opinions. I think that the programmer should have the
> freedom to choose the license he sees fit for his project, even if it
> isn't open source. That a ND licence for software would "cause needless
> division, friction and incompatibility" is simply not true. The
> incompatibility already exists. Just search the net for "freeware" and
> you will find thousands of gratis but non-free programs.
> www.freewarehome.com alone claim to have more than 4500 programs for
> download, each probably with its own license.

Even though ND isn't meant for software, if you are determined to go
non-Free,
would ND not work for software if you intend ND?