cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Thoughts / Questions re ND

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Andy Kaplan-Myrth <techlaw AT uottawa.ca>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Thoughts / Questions re ND
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 23:39:14 -0400

I missed the beginning of this conversation so I'm not sure why these questions were posed, or if they're just general questions. We may be getting off track now, in which case I apologize in advance.

Dana Powers wrote:
Doesn't this situation (incidental background recording) still require
synch rights under traditional, commercial licensing systems? Mad Hot
Ballroom, for example, was a recent documentary about high school kids
taking ball room dance lessons in New York City - a cell phone went
off in one of the scenes with a Rocky theme song ringtone, and (as far
as I know) synch rights still had to be cleared.

Or, at least, sync rights *were* cleared. It's not certain that they *had to be*. It's not necessarily the case that this is syncing -- it's just much more safe for the filmmaker to clear rights in advance.

Really, I think the fact that the movie and music industries call
pretty much anything that involves reproducing a musical composition
in a movie a "synch right" makes it really hard to carve out any
reliable exception scenarios for the ND license.

Are we just trying to get to the limits of what ND will tolerate, or are we asking what would happen if a film were released with ND music in a scene, and under what circumstances that would be a permitted use under the licence?

It seems to me that CC is one response to the industry's expansionist understandings of their own rights. I understand that a major label that owns the Rocky theme song will likely (and apparently did) construe the chance playing of a Rocky-themed ringtone in a film as an adaptation and therefore demand a synching licence. But Rocky isn't under CC.

If instead of Rocky the ringtone that played were your song under CC-ND, then would you or the CC community think that it was "synced"? If we think the majors have gone too far in construing their rights, then we should be comfortable with fewer rights, in which case some of these scenarios of music appearing in the background of films must be allowable for ND music. And if that's the case, then the filmmaker can be that much more relieved when the music on somebody's cell phone in a scene is licensed under CC, even if it is only ND.

Cheers,
Andy

dp