cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Thoughts / Questions re ND

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Thoughts / Questions re ND
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 20:39:45 -0400

On Tuesday 10 April 2007 06:30 pm, Evan Prodromou wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-04 at 17:04 -0400, drew Roberts wrote:
> > This seems to indicate that you do have the right to make Adaptations if
> > it is necessary to do so to exercise the above rights in another medium
> > or format.
>
> It's pretty clear that a piece of music as the soundtrack of a film is
> not simply translating the music into a new format. It's creating a new
> work, a blend of moving images and music, that is significantly
> different from the music played on its own.
>
> I think a good example of "exercising rights in another medium" would be
> making print-outs of an electronic document, or broadcasting an MP3 file
> over FM radio. Examples of making adaptations would be acting out a play
> on stage, doing a techno version of a country-western song, or expanding
> a poem into a full-length novel.
>
> I think the language of the license is clear in that converting the work
> into a new medium is not a free pass to make derivatives.

Fine, but it must allow the making of some derivatives or "otherwise" is an
unneeded word. I have no problem with it being either way, but you cannot
have "otherwise" there as a legit word and not allow any adaptations when
excercising the rights in other media and formats. Can you? What do you see
as the point of that word?

Also,

"The above rights may be exercised in all media and formats whether now known
or hereafter devised."

but there is no way whatsoever to excercise the rights when the work is
musical and the new medium is film or video. Right? Wrong?

> -Evan

(da idea man)