cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Thoughts / Questions re ND

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Thoughts / Questions re ND
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:30:53 -0400

On Tue, 2007-10-04 at 17:04 -0400, drew Roberts wrote:

> This seems to indicate that you do have the right to make Adaptations if it
> is
> necessary to do so to exercise the above rights in another medium or format.

It's pretty clear that a piece of music as the soundtrack of a film is
not simply translating the music into a new format. It's creating a new
work, a blend of moving images and music, that is significantly
different from the music played on its own.

I think a good example of "exercising rights in another medium" would be
making print-outs of an electronic document, or broadcasting an MP3 file
over FM radio. Examples of making adaptations would be acting out a play
on stage, doing a techno version of a country-western song, or expanding
a poem into a full-length novel.

I think the language of the license is clear in that converting the work
into a new medium is not a free pass to make derivatives.

-Evan

Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>
http://evan.prodromou.name/