cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Thoughts / Questions re ND

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Thoughts / Questions re ND
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 17:04:02 -0400

On Tuesday 10 April 2007 01:22 pm, Dana Powers wrote:
> I honestly can't think of how you could digitally combine a musical
> work with a video without synching. Even the most basic arrangement,
> having both start simultaneously, seems to fit the definition.
>
> Either way, I think anyone would be crazy to rely on a possible
> exception in the ND license and not just call the copyright owner and
> clear rights.

I will quote the part from the license again:

"The above rights may be exercised in all media and formats whether now known
or hereafter devised. The above rights include the right to make such
modifications as are technically necessary to exercise the rights in other
media and formats, but otherwise you have no rights to make Adaptations."

Note carefully: "but otherwise you have no rights to make Adaptations."

This seems to indicate that you do have the right to make Adaptations if it
is
necessary to do so to exercise the above rights in another medium or format.

Now, if this is not so, then perhaps this shows up a need for clearer
language
in the quoted section. Perhaps the word otherwise needs to come out if you
never have a right to make an adaptation under any circumstances
whatsoever. ???