cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Is "podsafe" music affected by CRB rulings

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: James Grimmelmann <james AT grimmelmann.net>
  • Cc: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Is "podsafe" music affected by CRB rulings
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 13:37:03 -0400

James Grimmelmann wrote:
> My understanding is yes. The CRB system applies only where the
> performer has refused permission. Where the perform has granted
> permission, as though a CC license, the terms of the deal are whatever
> the performer and webcaster have agreed to. In the case of a CC
> license, those terms are often "go right ahead!"

I should add that what I said about opting out only applies to the
licenses that allow commercial use. The NC licenses specifically
preserve the right to collect through standardized licensing schemes.
So, if you're a webcaster and you use only CC works that don't restrict
to NC, then yes, you can stay away from the CRB/Soundexchange system.
If you want to use works that are NC, then the rest of the discussion on
this thread immediately becomes relevant.

This is not legal advice, etc.

James