cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Question about BY and SA licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: James Grimmelmann <james AT grimmelmann.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Question about BY and SA licenses
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 13:51:17 -0500

Mike Linksvayer wrote:
On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 02:35 -0800, Jonathon wrote:
OSS wrote:
and reworked it, would providing the attribution in metadata form be
good enough to satisfy the requirement of the license? In other words,
I'd suggest including the attribution in the metadata, and also as a
caption. Not everybody knows that images can contain metadata, much
less has the ability to view it.

On a personal level, I'd love it when the images I use contain the
attribution & license in the metadata. It makes it much easier to keep
track of what license went with which image, and who took which iamge.

I encourage use of embedded metadata, just suspect that alone it does
not fulfill attribution requirements.

And, in response to the original question, note that "Image by XXX" alone does not fulfill the attribution requirements, which also require providing (or linking to) the CC license, giving the title of the work, and if practical, giving the URI that the original creator specified.

James