cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] multiple licenses of same image

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: peter.brink AT brinkdata.se, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] multiple licenses of same image
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:40:47 -0500

On Monday 15 January 2007 03:51 pm, Peter Brink wrote:
> Mia Garlick skrev:
> > On Jan 15, 2007, at 6:28 AM, Peter Brink wrote:
> >> In my book the low and high resolution images are the same work. The
> >> license is obviously worded so that all versions of a work (but not
> >> derivative works created by the licensor) are covered by the license.
> >> All versions or editions of a work are thus covered by the grant in
> >> section 3 (license grant). So - yes - if you offered a low resolution
> >> image under BY-SA, the high resolution image (being the same work) would
> >> also be available under the same terms.
> >
> > this is not the way CC licenses work and contravenes the language of the
> > license and its intent. this has already been explained on this list.
> > eg., just because larry releases a PDF version of his book under a CC
> > license, does not give you the right to walk into any bookstore and
> > demand a free copy of the hardcopy or exercise rights possible in
> > respect of the PDF with regard to the hardcopy.
>
> I agree that a careful reader would notice that since the license is
> non-exclusive the scope of license would seem to be limited that version
> of a work which is explicitly made available under the license - because
> otherwise the license would not be non-exclusive.

Perhaps, but the example could be different. It could be that I license my
work BY-SA for no cost, but if you want to make a non-SA derivative, you can
pay me and I will provide a custome license that allows you to make an "all
rights reserved" derivative.

The non-exclusive part does not force the conclusion being discussed as far
as
I can see.

I could also license a work BY-SA and NC. You could choose which you wanted
start with.

Everyone, please point out any errors in this thinking that you see.

snip

> /Peter Brink

(da idea man)
National Novel Writing Month