cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] multiple licenses of same image

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] multiple licenses of same image
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 07:47:48 -0500

On Sunday 14 January 2007 10:48 pm, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 17:11 -0800, CM wrote:

> > Also, if users upload images, and I sell these images to others via
> > initially providing 'thumbnails' for buyers' review, is displaying
> > 'thumbnails' considered a 'derivative work'?
>
> I think that merely downsampling is considered transcoding, not
> derivative, but IANAL.

And yet I seem to remember being told different the last time we spoke of
whether a license to a low resolution image also automatically gave the
license to the higher quality image from which it came. This after I had been
told different the first time I brought up the issue.

Does anyone know which it is in fact?

--
(da idea man)
National Novel Writing Month