cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] multiple licenses of same image

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: peter.brink AT brinkdata.se, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] multiple licenses of same image
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 15:34:09 -0800

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 00:23 +0100, Peter Brink wrote:
> Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> >
> >> There is no such thing as "upsampling" so this logic cannot apply to
> >> versions of a work at higher resolution than offered.
>
> If you call it upsampling, downsampling or sidesampling or whatever
> doesn't matter. A "work" must be the result of a creative act - the same
> goes for derivative works. A mechanical transformation is in itself not
> a creative act, the result of such a transformation is a copy and not a
> derivative work. If I scan a picture and make two versions available,
> one in low resolution and one in high resolution, those two images are
> _copies_ of the _same work_.

I think you missed my point. It is impossible to recreate a high
quality/bitrate/resolution work from a low quality/bitrate/resolution
work, mechanically or otherwise. To do so would be more than creative,
it would be godlike.

So how could offering a low quality version of a work under a license
imply that a high quality version is also offered given there is no
transformation, mechanical or otherwise, that can go from the version
offered to the (higher quality) version not offered?

Just a defender of entropy (as if it needs defense!), not a lawyer.

Mike

--
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/User:Mike_Linksvayer