cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] multiple licenses of same image

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] multiple licenses of same image
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:48:23 -0800

On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 17:11 -0800, CM wrote:
> If I have a website, and users upload images to my website, can I ask
> them to license their images to me according to CC's by-sa and
> concurrently license their images to all other website visitors
> according to CC's by-nc-sa? Can such functionality be written into the
> web-integration solution that CC offers?

There wouldn't be any web integration to speak of. Put the above
arrangement in your website terms of service and display the by-nc-sa
notice on public pages.

> Also, if users upload images, and I sell these images to others via
> initially providing 'thumbnails' for buyers' review, is displaying
> 'thumbnails' considered a 'derivative work'?

I think that merely downsampling is considered transcoding, not
derivative, but IANAL.

--
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/User:Mike_Linksvayer