cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] multiple licenses of same image

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] multiple licenses of same image
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 18:53:18 -0500

On Tuesday 16 January 2007 06:34 pm, Mike Linksvayer wrote:

> > If you call it upsampling, downsampling or sidesampling or whatever
> > doesn't matter. A "work" must be the result of a creative act - the same
> > goes for derivative works. A mechanical transformation is in itself not
> > a creative act, the result of such a transformation is a copy and not a
> > derivative work. If I scan a picture and make two versions available,
> > one in low resolution and one in high resolution, those two images are
> > _copies_ of the _same work_.
>
> I think you missed my point. It is impossible to recreate a high
> quality/bitrate/resolution work from a low quality/bitrate/resolution
> work, mechanically or otherwise. To do so would be more than creative,
> it would be godlike.
>
> So how could offering a low quality version of a work under a license
> imply that a high quality version is also offered given there is no
> transformation, mechanical or otherwise, that can go from the version
> offered to the (higher quality) version not offered?

You get a low quality version under the license, say for free. You buy a high
quality version (the low quality version is the result of down sampling, the
high quality is the original) under a different license.

That is how you could come to be in posession of two versions under two
different licenses. Any problems so far?

Now, people taking the position under discussion point out that the license
is
a license to the work.

They maintian that down sampling does not produce a new work according to
copyright law, just a copy of the original work.

The argument then goes, since you have a license to the "work" you have that
license to the work no matter which copy it is. No matter that you got one
copy under a different license originally.

Not that you agree or disagree, but do you understand the argument so far?

If so, would you care to respond from here?

> Just a defender of entropy (as if it needs defense!), not a lawyer.
>
> Mike

(da idea man)
National Novel Writing Month
Sayings (Winner 2006)