cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] compatibility plans between GFDL and CC-by-SA

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Bernd [Skriptenforum.net]" <papa_schlumpf AT skriptenforum.net>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] compatibility plans between GFDL and CC-by-SA
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:41:11 +0100

What exactly has actually happend to achieve a better compatibility between
the GNU Free Document licence and the CC by-sa licence as well as
interchangeability between content licenced in either licence,as announced by
Lawrence Lessig and Eben Moglen:
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Document_Licenses_and_the_Future_of_Free_Culture

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/76501

Me and some fellow university students started an online project (german
only,
located at www.skriptenforum.net ), where students can share lecture notes
they have taken down in the university courses they are attending, thus
creating a huge pool of learning materials for students of all possible
courses at universities in Austria. In the hope of being one day able to also
use GFDL-licenced content in our project such as that from Wikipedia, we
decided to switch from the noncommercial CC by-nc-sa to the more free CC
by-sa licence. Now we are even in the process of transferring the static
upload/download mechanism into an interactive Wiki-based system, which would
even further facilitate the use and mixing in of some Wikipedia based
content.

Since we believe that the CC licence (which is also adapted to Austrian law)
is a lot stronger in a legal sense than the GFDL, switching to the GFDL is no
option. Besides, a lot of other great CC-licenced content would then be left
locked out from mixing in, so this would not really be a wise solution.

I really wonder how far these ideas have developped at the moment. I have
just
briefly read through the GFDL 2 draft released 25th of September, but was not
able to find any hint for more compatibility between these two licences. Nor
have I found hints in the version 3 CC-licence drafts... Also, I tried to
contact the Software Freedom Law Center (www.softwarefreedom.org) which was
proposed by Lawrence Lessig for handling this change (see again
http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/76501 ) as well as Lawrence
Lessig himself and received no answer.

Since I find that there is absolutely no sense in hindering the mixing of
GFDL
and CC-by-sa licenced content, I would be really very disappointed and
frustrated if the glorious announcements would not result in any outcome at
all.

sincerely, Bernd