cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] compatibility plans between GFDL and CC-by-SA

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Benj. Mako Hill" <mako AT atdot.cc>
  • To: papa_schlumpf AT skriptenforum.net, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] compatibility plans between GFDL and CC-by-SA
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 06:26:10 -0500

<quote who="Bernd [Skriptenforum.net]" date="Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 04:41:11PM
+0100">
> What exactly has actually happend to achieve a better compatibility
> between the GNU Free Document licence and the CC by-sa licence as
> well as interchangeability between content licenced in either
> licence,as announced by Lawrence Lessig and Eben Moglen

As far as I know, very little concrete has happened to create
compatibility between similar documentation licenses. There are
different licenses in the first place because the (often subtle)
differences between the licenses are very important to folks like the
FSF and CC. Also, compatibility is a whole lot of work and Eben Moglen
and folks at FSF and SFLC have their hands more than full with
GPLv3. Perhaps after GPLv3 we can optomistically start more serious
converation and pressure on this point.

> Since I find that there is absolutely no sense in hindering the
> mixing of GFDL and CC-by-sa licenced content, I would be really very
> disappointed and frustrated if the glorious announcements would not
> result in any outcome at all.

I think you've made a mistake in reading that discussion at Wikimania
as an announcement. There were no announcements because, AFAIK, the
parties involved have never made the decision to actually move forward
with compatibility. To date, they have only said that they think it
would be very nice and its worth seeing if it's possible.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako AT atdot.cc

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results. --RMS