cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: James Grimmelmann <james AT grimmelmann.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses
  • Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 17:05:59 -0500

drew Roberts wrote:

Giving freedoms to those would deny us the same is an important value of
tolerant liberal democracy. We strive to give everyone the same
essential freedoms -- and we strive to intervene only when those would
restrict those freedoms actually try to do so.

But this is partly what I feel I am doing which is trying to do my small part to intervene where others are trying to create systems and a society where those freedoms are restricted and even denied.

That is a reasonable and respectable position. You see the choice not to have a parallel distribution clause as a choice not to contribute some support for systems that would try to deprive others of important freedoms. I agree that parallel distribution would contribute some support to those systems. I think that the support is mostly indirect and is small compared with the freedoms it would enable in other ways. I think we both agree on kinds the effects that adding the clause would have. We just disagree about what their likely scale will be and on how much moral weight we place on different effects.

I have looked very hard to find language that would compromise in ways that I personally would rather not compromise in these discussions.

What compromises can you live with?

I can live with this one, at least.

James