cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 10:51:25 -0500

On Saturday 02 December 2006 10:32 am, James Grimmelmann wrote:
> Greg London wrote:
> > Without any DRM clause of any kind, ShareAlike has a loophole
> > that allows DRM Dave to use the work without sharing the work
> > on his platform. Only he can distribute works on his platform.
> > Only he can create derivatives on his platform.
>
> This is true. But the same is true if DRM Dave makes snow globes that
> play a CC-licensed song. Nobody else can put derivatives (or anything
> at all) on this sort of snow globe--simply because Dave is the one with
> the manufacturing plant. Why is this not a platform monopoly of this
> troubling sort?

James, is this really an honest question on your part or are you just trying
to pin someone down to bolster your case?

I already gave an example of a traditional style music box being made which
played a melody that I had under a BY-SA license.

The snow globe as you described is more like that than anything else.

Now, if the globe is more than you described and can have its tunes updated
and only the manufacturer of the blessed can do so....

When I choose BY-SA and leave off the NC I am in effect saying I am cool with
people making money from my works at some level.

(oops, I gotta run... I will try and pick this up later....)

> James

(da idea man)
National Novel Writing Month
Sayings (Winner 2006)