cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] New Generic and ports

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] New Generic and ports
  • Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 09:03:01 -0400

On Sunday 08 October 2006 04:28 am, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Oct 8, 2006, at 08:24, jonathon wrote:
> > Since I expect the most significant dispute to be over the meaning of
> > "Non Commercial",
>
> FWIW, I think NC is a major bug in CC. First, I think it is
> irresponsible to offer a license whose meaning is unclear even to the
> CC folks themselves. Second, CC creates a brand image that CC equals
> Free Culture which is even stated to be inspired by Free Software,
> but NC is not Free as in Free Software. (CC also talks about Open
> Music when referring to Magnatune, but Magnatune's music is not Open
> as in Open Source.)

This "mislableing" problem is cropping up all the time.

> Now the Free as in Free Software type of Free Culture loses works to
> NC, because having NC available makes authors choose it by knee-jerk
> reaction. If NC wasn't available, to associate oneself with the brand
> of Free Culture, one would actually have to make the works Free as in
> Free Software.

As big a bug as NC is, I think ND is a bigger one. Exactly what, from a
creative comons point of view, can one do with an ND work that you can't do
with an all rights reserved work. (I am not saying that I don't prefer ND
works or even NC-ND works to "ARR" works, just asking what commons benefit
they give?)

Would CC be willing to consider a "Free CC" logo / brand / subsection that
those of us concerned with "Free Culture" ... can associate under and
promote? Do others concerned with "Free" think this is wise or would be
useful?

> Henri Sivonen

(da idea man)
National Novel Writing Month
http://www.nanowrimo.org/index.php
Join me and write a novel in 30 days! Dont delay!