cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] New Generic and ports

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Andres Guadamuz <a.guadamuz AT ed.ac.uk>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] New Generic and ports
  • Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 13:59:28 +0100

drew Roberts wrote:

Sigh! Again, I do not speak for CC, so CC does not "believe" anything,
these are my personal opinions. As for my personal opinion, I do indeed
think that the GPL v2 rests on shaky ground in many jurisdictions,
something that is being solved by re-drafting efforts in version 3. I
also believe that despite protestations to the contrary, the GPL is a
contract in most jurisdictions.

So, if I were a jerk and wrote up my own version of the GPL that basically said that my license was a license for any jurisdiction that would accept it as a license and not a contract but that I was unwilling to enter into a contract with anyone on these or any terms without actual personal negotiations, and in that case this work was "all rights reserved" what would the courts in "contract" countries do? Force me into the contract which I specifically state I am unwilling to enter? (I am trying to understand this all.)

No need to be a jerk, you just need to be Microsoft :) Seriously though, in your case I believe that it would be clear that there is no contract because you have specified that potential users of the software in certain jurisdictions have to negotiate with you directly. The court would have to recognise that you do not want to enter into a contract. However, without that proviso, normal contract-formation rules would apply. If I licence my software with the GPL, and this is used in a country without consideration, then I would be faced with a contract if my licence fulfils contract-formation requirements. If it looks like a contract, behaves like a contract and has the effects of a contract, then it is a contract.

To go even further, I've been involved in a discussion in the Cyberprof list on the question of whether the GPL's copyleft clause constitutes consideration, and therefore it's a contract in common law systems. Fred von Lohman from EFF wanted to know if the GPL was a contract. Opinions were completely split on this, with some stating that the copyleft clause created enough consideration to make the GPL a contract. Others were not convinced. My personal opinion is that the copyleft clause generates an obligation on those who redistribute modified versions of the software. In my book, this obligation would be enough to constitute consideration, and therefore the licence is also a contract. My suggestion is that the GPL could act as both a contract and a licence (sort of like the dual nature of photons), and that you could choose whether to sue for breach of contract or for copyright infringement. I will be the first to admit that this is a contentious view, so please take it with a pinch of salt (I'm a Civil lawyer at hear after all).

So again, wht if in my personal version of the GPL I said that the consumer would have to pay me X for the use of my work in countries where law forces me to give a warranty? I find it odd that I would have to provide a warranty to someone I am not in a "business" relationship with and am earning no benefit from. A warranty on something I have never sold to anyone in fact, much less someone on the other side of the planet.

Now, has this ever actually caused big problems to small players in practice? Does anyone know?

I should have included the caveat that unfair terms rules apply only to consumer contracts where both parties are at an imbalance. I think that this would be more of a concern for "large" licensors, but SME's are worried about it. I attended a seminar organised by a large UK law firm where the advice given to small and medium firms using the GPL was that they should be aware that the warranty exclusion clause could be unfair in some circumstances, so that they should act accordingly. I don't know if those firms followed the advice and took insurance as a result, but I know that it is a big concern. See:
http://www.out-law.com/page-391
http://www.out-law.com/page-6829-theme=default

Regards,

Andres