cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] New Generic and ports

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen AT iki.fi>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] New Generic and ports
  • Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 00:20:25 +0300

On Oct 7, 2006, at 19:57, Peter Brink wrote:

drew Roberts skrev:
On Saturday 07 October 2006 09:25 am, Peter Brink wrote:
[snip]
So, what happens when a German wants to build on my BY-SA work which I
released under the English language generic one?

Since the license states that the German license can be used *in place*
of the generic, the German text would IMO be used.

It says so only for derivative works. If you distribute the work verbatim, you don't get to change the license.

Also, what happens in places with no localization?

Based on legal theory I would say that the license would be considered
void and there would be a return to copyright law, but that is a rather
unproductive solution.

Isn't that a beautiful solution, because the licensee can't logically both claim the license to be invalid and enjoy the rights granted by the license?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen AT iki.fi