cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] More on NC (was: Re: New Generic and ports)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen AT iki.fi>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] More on NC (was: Re: New Generic and ports)
  • Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 23:52:05 +0300

On Oct 9, 2006, at 23:15, Rob Myers wrote:

NC doesn't ensure that you make money from your work, it simply prevents
other people from doing so.

Exactly. NC is about people being concerned about other people making money. What they should be concerned about is making money themselves.

FWIW, every time I have had income from writing software, I have stood on the shoulders of Free Software authors (regardless of whether the software I have written has been Free or proprietary--I have written both). If everyone else had been busy ensuring that no one else makes money, I couldn't have made money that way. And not being able to make money would have been unfortunate for me--and that's something that I care and should care about. Someone else might make money, too. Good for them.

Free Software is not anti-business as is sometimes claimed. NC, however, is. If the licensor hasn't figured out a business model or isn't even looking for one, NC prevents others from building business on what is potential usefulness for others but unused surplus for the licensor--or any attempt degenerates to the permission culture.

With BY-SA you can at least exploit downstream derivative work. This may
be more protection than NC-SA, as people will understand that they have
to give back.

CC-by-sa is also better for you in the sense that if someone else modifies your work, his/her NC doesn't take away *your* possibility of making money if you figure out a business model. With CC-by-nc-sa, once other have had their input, *you* can't do business even if a business model was handed to you on a silver platter.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen AT iki.fi