cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] New Generic and ports

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen AT iki.fi>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] New Generic and ports
  • Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 11:28:53 +0300

On Oct 8, 2006, at 08:24, jonathon wrote:

Since I expect the most significant dispute to be over the meaning of
"Non Commercial",

FWIW, I think NC is a major bug in CC. First, I think it is irresponsible to offer a license whose meaning is unclear even to the CC folks themselves. Second, CC creates a brand image that CC equals Free Culture which is even stated to be inspired by Free Software, but NC is not Free as in Free Software. (CC also talks about Open Music when referring to Magnatune, but Magnatune's music is not Open as in Open Source.)

Now the Free as in Free Software type of Free Culture loses works to NC, because having NC available makes authors choose it by knee-jerk reaction. If NC wasn't available, to associate oneself with the brand of Free Culture, one would actually have to make the works Free as in Free Software.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen AT iki.fi