cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CreativeCommons.org clarification on CC-BY section 4.a? (was Compatibility of Attribution license with Trialware)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CreativeCommons.org clarification on CC-BY section 4.a? (was Compatibility of Attribution license with Trialware)
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 10:14:36 -0500

rob AT robmyers.org wrote:
The BY license does not require that you make source available or
that the original work be recoverable from derivative work or
systems. It is the Free Culture equivalent of the original BSD
license: you can use the work pretty much as you like so long as you
give the licensor credit. So even making the work unrecoverable from
a binary blob is not a violation of the license as long as that blob
gives credit.

The question was whether making the data inaccessible due to
trialware code would trigger the anti-TPM clause. I'm not sure if that's
considered TPM, but if it is, then I think having the *images* not
be locked by it (even if the program is) is enough to avoid a conflict.

I think this is even true for BY-SA, though, since the license of the
program doesn't affect the license of the displayed content.

In any case, it's good digital citizenship. ;-)

Cheers,
Terry