cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CreativeCommons.org clarification on CC-BY section 4.a? (was Compatibility of Attribution license with Trialware)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: LinuxLala <linuxlala AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CreativeCommons.org clarification on CC-BY section 4.a? (was Compatibility of Attribution license with Trialware)
  • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 16:52:15 +0530

Hello,

On 10/6/06, Melissa Cotano <melcotano AT yahoo.com> wrote:
I understand that because the software would expire after a given period of time this might infringe on CC-BY section 4.a (the images are embedded in the binary.) So what if I also install those images in a separate folder on the user's PC. They would also be accessible at anytime.

Would this by comply with the license?

I am not too sure about this. But here's a thought: I think you can comly with the license if you make the Images available for download seperately.

If you bind the screensaver and the images together as one zip (equivalent compressed file) file, then you are practically forcing your screensaver on people who only want the CC images, and this is a probable violation. So, if the screensaver and the images are seperately available, then you'd be safe.

IANAL though.

--Shashank
linuxlala.net