cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CreativeCommons.org clarification on CC-BY section 4.a? (was Compatibility of Attribution license with Trialware)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CreativeCommons.org clarification on CC-BY section 4.a? (was Compatibility of Attribution license with Trialware)
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 04:04:46 -0500

Melissa Cotano wrote:
I understand that because the software would expire after a given
period of time this might infringe on CC-BY section 4.a (the images
are embedded in the binary.) So what if I also install those images
in a separate folder on the user's PC. They would also be accessible
at anytime.

Would this by comply with the license?

In my opinion, yes it would, because "the works" are not being constrained
by the trialware code, only the display program. (I could, for example,
download the images and use them in someone else's screensaver program.
Or I could cut and paste and make collages out of them, or whatever). The
stuff that's under the CC-By license would retain all of the freedoms the
license is meant to ensure.

Cheers,
Terry