cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CreativeCommons.org clarification on CC-BY section 4.a? (was Compatibility of Attribution license with Trialware)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CreativeCommons.org clarification on CC-BY section 4.a? (was Compatibility of Attribution license with Trialware)
  • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 08:51:43 -0400

On Friday 06 October 2006 07:22 am, LinuxLala wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 10/6/06, Melissa Cotano <melcotano AT yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I understand that because the software would expire after a given period
> > of time this might infringe on CC-BY section 4.a (the images are embedded
> > in the binary.) So what if I also install those images in a separate
> > folder on the user's PC. They would also be accessible at anytime.
> >
> > Would this by comply with the license?
>
> I am not too sure about this. But here's a thought: I think you can comly
> with the license if you make the Images available for download seperately.
>
> If you bind the screensaver and the images together as one zip (equivalent
> compressed file) file, then you are practically forcing your screensaver on
> people who only want the CC images, and this is a probable violation.

Are you sure you think that? Wouldn't that be the same as if someone included
shots of someone else's BY-SA artwork in a BY-SA movie and then claiming that
they would have to make the original artwork available?

> So,
> if the screensaver and the images are seperately available, then you'd be
> safe.
>
> IANAL though.
>
> --Shashank
> linuxlala.net

(da idea man)
http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261
Record a song and you might win $1,000.00
http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145