cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - Public Discussion

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - Public Discussion
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 10:07:10 -0400

On Sunday 13 August 2006 09:21 am, Luis Villa wrote:
> On 8/13/06, drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > They definitely do. But we can't solve any of those person's other
> > > problems.
> > >
> > > The question is really where our control point is. Creative Commons,
> > > and this mailing list, don't have direct control over what types of DRM
> > > are created, what computers, portable devices, and entertainment
> > > centres people buy. Creative Commons does have control over the terms
> > > of the licenses.
> > >
> > > So, if we want to let someone with a DRM-required player listen to Free
> > > music, we can waste a lot of time enjoining them to send letters to
> > > their congressperson or member of Parliament, or telling them to go
> > > spend another $250 on another player, or break the (unjust) law and do
> > > some circumvention process.
> > >
> > > OR, we can just let them listen to the damn music on their player.
> >
> > First let me say that I am not against solving this issue in a good way,
> > but you know what, there is a part of me that says that if someone
> > doesn't care if their choice of player negatively impacts me and my
> > rights due to network effects, then why should I care if they can play my
> > Free (libre) stuff that I am giving them for free (gratis) on their
> > player? Assuming a $250 player and a buck a song, let them take the
> > savings from me and 249 others like me and buy a better player, one that
> > respects my rights and theirs. If they can't be bothered, why should I
> > care about them?
>
> You're ascribing to malice what can be ascribed to incompetence.

No, I am not ascribing it to malice on the users part at all. No matter what
the motive, it still negatively impacts me. It is possible not to care about
something because you are ignorant of it.

I have no great love for CC as a whole. I am here for the BY and espectially
BY-SA crowd. The rest are playing a different game even though CC wants to
encompass the whole bunch. I do not see much common ground between us all.

So, put what you like in any of the NC covered options and in any of the ND
covered options. And in the BY options for that matter as they can already be
taken private. The only thing I am personally concerned about are the BY-Sa
licenses.

Since the percentage of BY-SA works are so small anyway, what is the big deal?

> The
> number of people who knew what DRM was and bought a PSP anyway is
> probably in the low hundreds. The other several million who bought the
> PSP had no idea what DRM is. And now their first encounter with CC and
> DRM will be a big 'fuck you' from CC, instead of a positive lesson and
> experience with free culture. Congrats on moving the movement forward!

And this language and attitude helps moving the movement forward?

> Luis

In any case, all the best,

(da idea man)
http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261
Record a song and you might win $1,000.00
http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145