cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - Public Discussion

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - Public Discussion
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 22:56:39 -0400

On Fri, 2006-11-08 at 19:04 -0500, Terry Hancock wrote:
Of course, this is somewhat moot. Why are they using a CC license for
software?  Use the GPL instead, it's much more clear cut on this issue.
The example this started with actually had a game that included by-2.0-licensed media, but that detail seems to have gotten lost.

There are already game projects that are using CC licenses for level designs, interstitial video, graphics, and audio, although the game engine itself uses the GPL or something similarly program-oriented.
>  You can play stuff on your DRM hardware, but you cannot be allowed to
>  use that DRM barrier as a way to circumvent the requirement that you
>  share your derivatives with the original project.

I for one agree that should be the goal.
I agree too (although I think the needs of other recipients, besides the original project, are important too). I also think parallel distribution meets this goal.

~Evan