cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] sampling + 1.0 and remix competition, with prize for winner

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] sampling + 1.0 and remix competition, with prize for winner
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 12:42:49 -0400

On Saturday 08 July 2006 08:30 am, Rob Myers wrote:
> On 8 Jul 2006, at 11:38, drew Roberts wrote:
> > The thing is, IIRC, do they encourage (allow?) sampling plus
> > anymore. I know
> > they dropped BY-SA as an allowable option.
>
> I think it's just BY and BY-SA. This seems to be to protect
> downstream users from the liability of sharing-alike a poorly
> licensed sample. Which is understandable. This is one of the reasons
> why I think we really, really need an FSF-strength (i.e. recorded by
> the organisation, with all paperwork done robustly) pool of root
> samples for copyleft music.

The last I checked ccMixter definately allowed BY and did not allow BY-SA. (I
would be very happy for someone to confirm that they now accept BY-SA works.)

That pool would be great though.

I can't even determine if any copyrights are claimed on all of the abc
repositories of old music.

http://abc.sourceforge.net/NMD/
http://www.ceolas.org/pub/tunes/abc.tunes/Playford.abc
http://www.village-music-project.org.uk/manuscripts.htm
http://www.goodbagpipes.com/pipetunes/collections.htm

http://staffweb.cms.gre.ac.uk/~c.walshaw/abc/#collections

http://abc.sourceforge.net/
http://staffweb.cms.gre.ac.uk/~c.walshaw/abc/

It would seem to me a decen project would be to put as much public domain
music online as possible under a BY-SA license where any new copyrights
arise.

> - Rob.

(da idea man)
--
http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261
Record a song and you might win $1,000.00