cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] sampling + 1.0 and remix competition, with prize for winner

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] sampling + 1.0 and remix competition, with prize for winner
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 20:47:00 -0400

On Wednesday 05 July 2006 06:51 pm, Nova Christopher wrote:
> I'm not sure if I need to be concerned with private
> monetary compensation, if that's what it is. And it
> would seem that's what it is, especially since my
> label is completely independent and makes no money at
> all (nor is it designed to).

Nope, it is more complicated than that. If your label is doing this and not
you, and you label is a business or a corporation, different rules apply...

"You may not exercise any of the rights granted to You in the paragraph
immediately above in any manner that is primarily intended for or directed
toward commercial advantage"

which to me sounds like the loosy goosy language od non-commercial which I
would not want to touch with a ten foot pole.

That said, both of those options relate to "Noncommercial sharing of verbatim
copies permitted." This is point d.

Points a, b, and c seem to relate more to your stated goal.

So, if the entrants make bona-fide derivatives in keeping with the terms and
you have them use a BY or BY-SA license as a part of the contest
requirements, then it would be OK to make money from it.

Point c might cause you some grief though.

Then too, can you legally license a derivative containing sampling plus
material under a BY or BY-SA license? Perhaps not. Does anyone have any
thoughts on this? What did the Creative Commons license drafters intend in
this regard?

> If anything, I'm losing money for the sake of free
> music and supporting free sampling and remixing.
>
> Thanks for your comments!

(da idea man)