cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] sampling + 1.0 and remix competition, with prize for winner

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] sampling + 1.0 and remix competition, with prize for winner
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 16:27:45 -0500

Nova Christopher wrote:
is gifting someone a prize, even if it 'cost' me something, the same
as 'free?' it is, after all, free to the would-be winner of this
competition...

Drew's talking about supporting free-licensed software to produce
free-licensed art.

The point is that "People who like freedom like freedom", so they'll
probably prefer free-licensed tools. Thus the $99 may be wasted
if it's spent on proprietary software.

I'm a graphic artist and a programmer more than a musician. If you
gave me a copy of Photoshop I'd play around with it for a bit, but I'd
go right back to the Gimp, because I like free software tools. That
reflects my cultural identification with free-culture and free-software
-- I mean, if I'm sold enough on the idea to release my own stuff
under a free-license, it stands to reason I'm sold enough to be a
user of free-licensed stuff.

A $99 piece of hardware (e.g. MIDI card, synth, etc -- I'm sorry I don't
know enough about this stuff to know what $99 will buy) might be
a more popular and/or effective prize for musicians who feel the
same way I do.

Or a training session, book, tech-support or other free-software
tool tie-in.

It's just a question of fitting the prize to the people entering the
contest. No doubt you've already spent the $99, so don't fret over
it, but it's an idea for next time. ;-)

Cheers,
Terry