cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] sampling + 1.0 and remix competition, with prize for winner

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] sampling + 1.0 and remix competition, with prize for winner
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 18:27:35 -0400

On Wednesday 05 July 2006 06:13 pm, Nova Christopher wrote:
> Good points. I started a 'netlabel' for the same
> reasons you speak of, being inspired by open-source
> and free music and, well, free stuff in general. Why
> spend a lot of money when I can use something else,
> and it will do everything I need it to?

Personally, I like free stuff just fine, but what I am really concerned with
is Free stuff.

> Unfotunately,
> this is often not the case with music-making software.
> I suspect that's why most of them cost money...
> someone has found an opportunity to capitalize on some
> novel ideas.
>

> In the case of offering a prize, I do feel the
> software I choose to award will be very fitting for
> the contestants.

So, why not a cash award or hardware? For instance, these:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALEMULTIMIX8USB

are cool and only $149.00 - not a bad deal.

Or how about a donation to the audio based Free software project of their
choice in their name?

> But in the case of offering free
> software that was made free (open-source, or freeware
> or even some shareware) it might feel less like a
> 'prize' since anyone else could simply download it,
> and not necessarily have to provide anything in
> exchange (such as a winning song). I do like the idea
> of exchange or 'barter,' especially when it is not
> completely dependent on dollars and cents (which is
> almost impossible in our culture).
>
> Thanks for your input!

My main point is that people concerned with Freedom need to seek ways to
support each other's Free initiatives whenever they can. Just a simple thing
really.

(da idea man)