cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Founders as a module? was Re: Getting to Version 3.0

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Founders as a module? was Re: Getting to Version 3.0
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 21:53:30 +0000

Greg London wrote:
Founders's isn't being adopted in any significant numbers. I think
any sort of term-limit-non-commercial license would fare even worse.

I don't think the term-limit principle is the reason for the failure of
Founder's.

I think the reasons are:

1) It's not a license at all, but a copyright purchasing contract arrangement.

2) It's too complicated, and easy to misunderstand.

3) It requires agent-level trust in the Creative Commons organization.

4) It requires an exchange of money -- transactional cost.

5) It is fundamentally incompatible with the other CC license modules.

6) It is not marketed in any appealing way.

As such, it is wide-open to FUD, and it's not a big surprise to me that it
failed so badly. Ultimately, it failed because it *isn't* a license module.

Or so it would seem to me.

Cheers,
Terry