cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] NonDerivative NonCommercial Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] NonDerivative NonCommercial Licenses
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 09:40:40 -0600

rob AT robmyers.org wrote:

They are not literal forks, though. They relate historically, but then so do
MacOS and Windows. Both are examples of competing projects rather than forks.

The BSDs are the classic example of a content fork. The XFree86 fork is a good
recent example.

Heh. No, that was a "license fork". ;-)

Both were made possible by the absence of a copyleft on the originals.
Of course, it's debatable whether that's a good or bad thing (I lean
towards the latter, but I do have good reasons to approve of *certain*
projects being non-copyleft).