cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] NonDerivative NonCommercial Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] NonDerivative NonCommercial Licenses
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 01:55:44 -0500 (EST)

> On Wednesday 29 March 2006 08:19 pm, Greg London wrote:
>> Well, by "proprietary fork" or "commercial fork"
>> I mean someone is able to get more rights to the
>> work than is available to the gift economy project.
>
> The problem I see with this is that I do not see that "proprietary fork"
> is equivalent to "commercial fork"

> One person sells his version and another his.

But both versions are available to everyone.
RedHat can sell their version, but anyone
can take RedHat's version and re-sell it too.
All versions are under the same license,
so this isn't a license fork,

it's just that someone is trying to use commercial
methods to distribute, but they get no monopoly
on the work, or the commercial rights, or anything
else. So they cannot compete against the original
project, as their version remains part of teh
original project. at worst, RedHat creates a
content fork, a different piece of content
under the same license as the original.
but if RedHat creates a content fork that is better
than the original, everyone can adopt their version,
the project remains GNU-GPL, and the project wins overall.

Unless the license changes, the community can
choose to reabsorb any improvements that
some commercial enterprise adds to the project.
and in pure copyleft, the license can't change.

You just have to compete