cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Advertising issues

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Advertising issues
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:32:23 -0500

On Tuesday 10 January 2006 01:56 pm, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 14:13 +0000, rob AT robmyers.org wrote:
> > But those of us who believe NC is bad are in the minority. NC is by far
> > CC's most popular license module.
>
> Actually attribution is by far the most popular, so much so (98+%) that
> the question was removed.

And I think it was a bad idea to make BY mandatory. Granted, I think that for
most of what I intend to do, I would choose BY anyway. I do see other times
though where I would want to choose NOBY-SA where not only would I not get
attribution, but no one making derivatives would be allowed to require
attribution either.

If CC is for the spectrum of rights, why take this one away? It makes it
harder for me personally to stomach NC.

> If BY-SA is the license that has the most powerful combination of
> allowing reuse while mandating continued freedom, won't it eventually
> become the most popular license regardless of what other options are
> offered, just as GPL became most popular in the face of less restrictive
> and various non-free (shareware, etc) competition?

That is my reasoning and my hope. It is just that even if I am right, we may
end up with many wasted years and unusable works by allowing NC and ND in the
meantime. Such is life in the tropics.

> The best thing those of you who don't like NC (or ND) can do to further
> your cause is to promote use and reuse of PD, BY, and BY-SA content.

And to create new BY-SA content. Right now, PD and BY are not much better for
fixing the overall copyright problems the world finds itself in, but I thank
those creating PD and BY works anyway as they are valuable to me whereas
those with NC and ND options are all but useless. (Commons wise.)

> Drew Roberts has the right idea:
> > I am already streaming BY-SA and BY music on bysa Radio:
> >
> > http://yp.peercast.org/?find=bysa&Submit=Search
>
> Though I think a podcast would be far more effective than a stream.

It might be, but I have other plans and additional reasons for going the
radio
station route.

Thanks for you thoughtful comments.

http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145