cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Advertising issues

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <christian AT fluendo.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Advertising issues
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:01:26 +0100

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 17:19 -0600, Terry Hancock wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:07:26 +0100
> Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <christian AT fluendo.com>
> wrote:
> > My point is that the border for where commercial activity
> > starts is so blurry that it makes the content useless for
> > anyone who actually starts thinking about the issue. The
> > GPL have an equally stupid clause which allows non-free
> > 'system libraries'. Problem is there is no clear
> > definition of what that is.
>
> Actually, that's an important special exemption -- it allows
> you to use Gnu software on commercial proprietary Unix
> platforms and on Windows. Otherwise, almost nothing would
> run on those systems without breaking the license.
>
> It's less and less important, though, as more and more
> people are using free OSs to run Gnu software -- but you
> have to remember that there were NO free OSs when the GPL
> (v2) was drafted.

I guess the GPL is a bit off-topic in general for a CC mailing list,
but I am well aware why the clause where added, I just think it was
badly worded and has been the cause of endless flamewars and uncertainty
in the community. Part of the problem of course has been that the FSF
hasn't been consistent in their own interpretation of it, as they have
gradually interpreted it more and more restrictively.

Which of course points to one of the big problems with the NC clause,
if the CC had released a document explaining how they thought it should
be interpreted it could have helped create a clear precedent and shared
understanding of what is legal or not. Cause in the end any contract
means exactly what the two parties of the contract believe it to mean.

Christian

--
Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller
Business Development Manager