cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Advertising issues

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Advertising issues
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:56:29 -0800

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 14:13 +0000, rob AT robmyers.org wrote:
> But those of us who believe NC is bad are in the minority. NC is by far CC's
> most popular license module.

Actually attribution is by far the most popular, so much so (98+%) that
the question was removed.

If BY-SA is the license that has the most powerful combination of
allowing reuse while mandating continued freedom, won't it eventually
become the most popular license regardless of what other options are
offered, just as GPL became most popular in the face of less restrictive
and various non-free (shareware, etc) competition?

The best thing those of you who don't like NC (or ND) can do to further
your cause is to promote use and reuse of PD, BY, and BY-SA content.
Drew Roberts has the right idea:
> I am already streaming BY-SA and BY music on bysa Radio:
>
> http://yp.peercast.org/?find=bysa&Submit=Search

Though I think a podcast would be far more effective than a stream.

--
Mike Linksvayer
http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21