cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Advertising issues

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Ivan Castell <ivancastell AT gmail.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Advertising issues
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 13:47:17 +0100

This si exactly the same question I posted some time ago. And yes, I also think that this is right now (ad revenue) considered as commercial use. Until a clear description of commercial use is made available, I agree, this violate the licence.

2006/1/10, Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca>:
On Sat, 2006-07-01 at 18:40 +0100, Bruno (Nessuno) wrote:
> What if I put a photo released under the Noncommerciale licenses on my
> website where also ad-banners are visibile (eg GoogleAdsense)? Do I
> infringe the copyright in this case?

It seems to me that the Work is being distributed for commercial
advantage (ad revenue). So, yes, you are violating the license.

> And what if a commercial (ad based) tv broadcaster use the same photo
> (or video also released under the noncommercial license) inside a tv
> program? Do they infringe the copyright?

Again, the work is being distributed for commercial advantage. So, yes.

~ESP