cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Case study: Magnatune

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Case study: Magnatune
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:54:04 -0500

On Tue, 2005-22-11 at 23:41 +0100, Antoine wrote:
Then, by your interpretation, anyone licensing a binary for distribution
could also distribute the source code if (s)he were to obtain it by any
means...
Most commercial contracts for software do not grant sweeping licenses to distribute a Work; they very clearly delineate what forms a work may be distributed in, and sometimes what region, to what industry, volume, etc. If I get a contract with Universal Studios to sell VHS copies of a movie, that doesn't mean I get to license them for public performance in a theatre. The work is the same, but the agreement I've made only grants certain rights.

~Evan