cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Case study: Magnatune

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Antoine <antoine AT pitrou.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Case study: Magnatune
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:07:25 +0100

> It does not specify that the licensor only grants you that license for
> a particular fixed form, but for the Work. As you noted, a printed
> book, a PDF and an OpenDocument of the same text are fixed forms of
> the same work (and, in the license sense, Work).

It's *not* the same thing. In a PDF, the text itself is not altered. You
can fully reconstruct the sequence of symbols that constitutes the
original work (although it's quite tedious, due to the properties of the
PDF format).

In an MP3 however, the work is definitively altered, since the format is
lossy. You cannot reconstruct the original recording (e.g. in WAV
format, or any other lossless format suitable for editing) from the MP3
file.

Take another example : if you are allowed to use a photograph of a
painting, does it mean it also allows you to use the painting itself ? I
don't think so...