cc-licenses - Re: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Peter Brink <peter.brink AT brinkdata.se>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 13:28:33 +0200

tisdag 31 maj 2005 11:30 skrev Rob Myers:
[ snip ]

> *If* attribution is important to Wiki users, and *if* people
> contribute to wikis on the understanding that their work will be part
> of the wiki, then arguments about what happens for the book version
> (for example) are arguments about how best to misuse contributors
> work. Would the wiki operators who want attribution to their project
> rather than to individuals be happy with a scheme that transferred
> copyright to CC and attributed the CC-Wiki-Real-Commons-License
> rather than any given wiki? If not, why not? It would solve more
> problems than having to attribute to people's wikis.

Good points all around.

I have to say that I fear that the proposed changes in the way attribution
works will create more problems than it will solve, just as Rob does. As a
result, from my POW, the proposed change should be rejected.

Rights Management on a wiki is more of an administrative problem, it can be
solved by adding tools to the wiki to help administrators manage credits. If
CC really wants to help wiki admins then a better way would perhaps be to
reword the definition of "work" in the CC-Wiki draft so that the license
specifically targets just wikis (and only wikis!). For example:

"Work" means the copyrightable elements of the wiki wiki web offered under
the
terms of this License.

A definition of "Wiki Wiki Web" is of course needed. A (very rough) draft
might read:

"Wiki Wiki Web" means any open-editing system where the emphasis is on the
authoring and collaboration of documents rather than the simple browsing or
viewing of them.

I sure seasoned wiki admins can come up with a better suggestion. :-)

/Peter Brink