cc-licenses - Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen AT iki.fi>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 22:06:49 +0200

On Mar 25, 2005, at 15:58, drew Roberts wrote:

I don't doubt you are right, but I think you miss my point and so I think I am
also right. "He must prove that his artistic integrity..." and where would he
prove it if not in court? And since I do not want to run a real risk of
winding up in court, I will not knowingly be building on his work.

For one thing, societies that have moral rights are generally less litiguous and rely more on common sense that societies with the Anglo-American legal tradition. :-) That's why in practice moral rights are not as paralyzing as they appear when you look from the Anglo-American point of view.

But yeah, Finns worry about them, too, sometimes. The usual stance is that the moral rights related to software are expected to be next to non-existent, so moral rights are not considered such a problem for software projects, which to date have been the most important copyleft projects.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen AT iki.fi