cc-licenses - Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 08:36:55 -0500

On Friday 25 March 2005 05:06 am, Peter Brink wrote:
> Greg London skrev:
> > Two strong assertions. Do you have any example?
> > Not a hypothetical example, but a real-world example
> > where Moral Rights somehow saved the day?
>
> Moral rights cases are relatively (relative to Europe) common in Sweden.
> Some examples:
>
> * An artist complained that her art were being displayed next to the
> entrance to a porno movie theater - she won.
>
> * The lyrics of a classic piece of music was changed in a way that the
> Swedish Academy found disgracing - the Academy won.
>
> * A Broadcast company split up a movie and inserted commercial breaks,
> the court found that the artistic integrity of the originator had been
> violated.
>
> Depending on your point of view moral rights can be said to have saved
> the day.

Sure, and if someone did something with my work that upset me greatly, I
might
want to take advantage of such laws if they were available to me to stop or
even to punish them.

I do see these sorts of possibilities wreaking havoc with copyleft type
endeavours though.

So, I am not disagreeing that moral rights laws can have their good points.
Do
you agree/see however, that in the CC, Free, copyleft world(s) they can have
their bad points as well?

If so, can we seek ways to overcome their bad points? While preserving their
good points?