cc-licenses - Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:12:25 -0500 (EST)

drew Roberts said:
> If I release a poem CC BY-SA, I would want to see all collections where it
> appears to be CC BY-SA.

aggregations and collections are not derivatives
therefore share alike does not apply to the collection.
It would still apply to your individual piece though.

An aggregation would only require the right to copy
and distribute, which means sharealike would consider
your work sandwiched into a book of other works to
be a verbatim copy that happens to be transmitted
in bulk with a bunch of other works.

But that also means that an aggregation would be
restricted by NonCommercial and Attribution
which are license requirements that affect
distribution.

Just because someone aggregates doesn't make your
license requirements go away. It just means they
don't have to have the right to create derivative
works when they aggregate.