cc-licenses - Re: What happens to the GPL in FPGA & VLSI implementations?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Daniel Carrera <dcarrera AT math.umd.edu>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: What happens to the GPL in FPGA & VLSI implementations?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:07:12 -0500

Greg London wrote:

> My understanding of teh GPL is that you can combine
> GPL code with non-GPL code on your local machine.
> The GPL-mixing-only-with-other-GPL requirement
> only kicks in if you DISTRIBUTE the work.

That has always been my understanding as well. Furthermore, it is also my
understanding that no copyright license could possibly restrict what you do
with the code anyways. Use does not fall under copyright law, it falls under
contractural law. Copyright law deals with the act of copying.

In any event, the FSF seems to agree as well:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#UnreleasedMods

Daniel Carrera | I don't want it perfect,
Join OOoAuthors today! | I want it Tuesday.
http://oooauthors.org |