cc-licenses - Re: What happens to the GPL in FPGA & VLSI implementations?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: What happens to the GPL in FPGA & VLSI implementations?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:48:20 -0500 (EST)

I am not affiliated with Creative Commons.
I am not a lawyer.
I am, however, an ASIC engineer.

My understanding of teh GPL is that you can combine
GPL code with non-GPL code on your local machine.
The GPL-mixing-only-with-other-GPL requirement
only kicks in if you DISTRIBUTE the work.

So, you can get a core off of opencores
and you mix it with your proprietary verilog locally,
and create your own ASIC.

You would not be able to distribute the resulting work
in verilog unless you put the whole thing under GPL.

Now, I'm not certain, but I THINK that distribution
of silicon does not qualify as distribution of the
work itself. I believe that is functional instead
of "expression" and functional isn't covered by copyright.

The alternative would be to put all open cores under
something like the LGPL and define the boundary as
the verilog module layer.