cc-licenses - Re: What happens to the GPL in FPGA & VLSI implementations?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: What happens to the GPL in FPGA & VLSI implementations?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:43:04 -0500 (EST)

drew Roberts said:
> On Friday 18 March 2005 11:48 am, Greg London wrote:
>> I am not affiliated with Creative Commons.

> I am confident that the GPL only requires you
> to give out your modifications
> if you distribute. Not if you use. It also
> permits you to make mods and keep
> them private if you do not distribute.

Yes, but the crux of the matter is whether or not
code-turned-into-silicon is a derived work or use.
I'd view it as a cookie-recipe-turned-into-a-cookie,
and therefore would not be a derived work but usage.
However, what I think the law should be and what the
law IS, are two different things.

> I am very ignorant here, but I will point out that
> hardware firewall/router manufacturers are feeling
> the GPLs effects.

the link is pretty vague, but it sounded like
violations with embedded software, not the
hardware.