cc-licenses - Re: What happens to the GPL in FPGA & VLSI implementations?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: What happens to the GPL in FPGA & VLSI implementations?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:02:56 +0000

On Friday, March 18, 2005, at 04:48PM, Greg London <email AT greglondon.com>
wrote

>Now, I'm not certain, but I THINK that distribution
>of silicon does not qualify as distribution of the
>work itself.

IANAL, but the silicon could be regarded as the executable code to the work's
source code, so this would possibly be "distribution".

>I believe that is functional instead
>of "expression" and functional isn't covered by copyright.

This does look like industrial design rather than "writing", but I think that
the pattern on the silicon is at least a derivative work, possibly even just
a machine translation.

>The alternative would be to put all open cores under
>something like the LGPL and define the boundary as
>the verilog module layer.

This would probably work for the second license requirement given, although
the "object code" might need to be provided if the silicon doesn't fulfill
the criteria for being dynamically linked to, if that makes sense.

- Rob.